Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Aretha Had It Right

I think Aretha Franklin may have had it right, it is all about respect. Why is it we sometimes find it hard to respect others? Is there something in our nature that just does not allow us to notice others around us. Have we grown so unaware of what is going on around us that we just don't have the ability to show simple honest respect?

Now I would love to tell you that I always show respect for people around me. I can tell you that I try, sometimes harder than others, but I try. We as a whole, it appears, has found that it does not matter if you give anyone some respect. We ignore people who are waiting on us in restaurants, or checking us out at the store. That is until one of them makes a mistake and then they be come the center of our attention. I try and always greet the people who are there to help me and make my life easier. You would be surprised how many time someone will brighten up just by asking them a simple "How are you today?" when it is normally their job to ask you.

But I am not just talking about respect to those people around you for just a short time during the day, how about the people you are around all day. You know the people you work with. We need to remember that they deserve to be treated the same way we want to be treated. So unless you want to be talked down to, or ridiculed in public, maybe we should not do that to others.  I know what it feels like and I can tell you that it is not one of my favorite feelings, so I am going to try and treat people with respect, how about it care to join me?

Men are respectable only as they respect
Ralph Waldo Emerson


All I am askin' is for a little respect....
Aretha Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment