Tuesday, August 4, 2009

To Facebook or Not to Facebook

Ok, let me start off by saying that I am a computer person, geek, nerd or whatever you want to call me. I use a computer every day and can get my way around most applications, games, sites or whatever I come across. That being said there are a couple things I would like to say about facebook. Don’t get me wrong I like facebook, or the idea of facebook but the way some people use it is wrong. Let me give you a couple examples.

Facebook at work is a very tricky thing. First of all, do you friend your boss? My suggestion is no do not and here is why. If your boss is on facebook and you like to update your status, comment on other’s status, or photos during the work day, guess what? They know about it. They know that you are on facebook during work hours and now wonder if you are busy enough. Obviously not if you have time to update your status every 15 minutes. So be careful when friending your boss or updating your status at work. People who you work with are watching and some are wondering if you are really working hard or hardly working.

The other is facebook during a breakup. Man this is a touchy area that needs to be thought through before you post anything. Remember what you post is seen by all of your friends and now they know that you are fighting with your significant other. If you decide to post about your breakup, please, and I can’t say this strongly enough, please do not make people choose sides in the fight. If you do, you might be very surprised at the result. There is no good outcome to this: If they pick your side and you later get back together, your friends will wonder why? If they pick the other side, well, enough said, they picked the other side.
Remember facebook is a fun tool for keeping up to date with the lives of your family and friends, but don’t keep them too update.


Be civil to all; sociable to many; familiar with few; friend to one; enemy to none. - Benjamin Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment